Sunday, October 18, 2009

Adventures in Baking


With enough butter, anything is good. -Julia Child

I found that quote the other day, and I'm toying with putting it up on some shelves I have over my kitchen table. It just makes me laugh.

But, onto the main idea of this post:

I made buttercream icing this afternoon.

From scratch.

And I'll admit it, I'm pretty darn proud of myself. I definitely understood the need for an apron after totally covering myself in powdered sugar. And, I didn't use the clear vanilla that the recipe called for because I live in the boonies, and I couldn't find it anywhere. But, it tasted like buttercream, and it looks like buttercream to me, so hopefully it'll pass. Now, we'll just have to see how my first cake decorating class goes this week...

I have to say that I am so ridiculously excited about this class that I could just explode. I have wanted to learn how to decorate with all those fantastic tips for so long. Secretly, I wish I could open up some great bakery and do nothing but create yummyness with butter and sugar and flour all day long. Oh, and chocolate. That would be quite important, too.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly the kind of baker that can just come up with amazing things on her own. So, my own shop with exquisite and unique creations probably won't happen anytime soon. I need to steal the genius of others that are more talented than I. But, there are so many wonderful things out there to make!

That's why combined with starting my class and anticipating this coming in the mail, my life will be happy and sugar-filled this week. I might just have to learn how to put pictures up here so that I can show you my creations once I know what I'm doing.

Now, I just need more people to bake for so that Mike and I don't eat it all. Any volunteers?

P.S. Sorry for the long lapse in posting (Lauren and Mike, you're the only ones who read this, so sorry to you specifically). I'll try to be better from now on. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I read it too! And I've been anxiously awaiting another post! Seriously, I think I've checked almost every day ... but I'm not obsessed. I do have a life. I think. And I hope you ate some of that buttercream frosting yourself! And thanks for backing me up on the cake. And I wish I could take a cake decorating class with you. You have to make your own frosting for the class?? We should talk more, then maybe I wouldn't leave such long comments on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update! And we whole-heartedly volunteer to come out there and taste your delicious buttercream frosting. How about, say, March?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i read this too! and like katie said... NOT obsessed at all.

    if you can ship it. i will eat it.

    and who uses clear vanilla anyway?? it's FAAAKE. boo.

    i'm excited about your frosting adventures : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOMS actually have an arch built into them! I have the worlds flattest feet and they definitley support them. If anything else falls apart on that shoe (which I highly doubt) the last thing to go will be that arch. They're practically perfect in every way.

    Mmm... candy corn. Oh, memories. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous. I've wanted to take a cake decorating class for ages. One day...

    ReplyDelete